Subject: [Leica] 8 Gig cards? M8?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 09:32:32 -0700

Hi Crew,

Given the many messages wondering how one would fill an 8 gig card even in
weeks of shooting?

To be fair I should offer the why I wished digital and 8 gig cards or bigger
were available 45-50 year ago.

When assigned to shoot in the High Arctic of Canada during the yearly ship
convoy re-supply of Arctic weather and radar stations it was necessary to
take all your film, several times a1000 36 exp rolls. Your days were endless
because in many cases the work was 24 hours a day of landing craft,
helicopters and trucks on land. The sun never set! It was easy to keep going
because the sun was shining, so you never related to going to bed. Actually
I had occasions to shoot for three days straight with only sit downs to eat,
that was it. However when you did crash, trust me you really crashed in very
deep sleep for 24 hours or more.

But it is situations like this where 8 - 16 - 32 whatever size biggie cards
would've been an advantage instead of pockets and pockets of film.

So some of you lads who've never worked on indepth assignments of this
nature, I can understand your wondering how long it would take to fill even
an 8 gig? But when you're in the middle of a massive unloading of ships,
hopping into a helicopter out to the ships to capture the activities there,
flight back to shore, next trip on a landing craft. You are burning images
like a hail storm there's so much going on all around you and it never
stops!

And repeat this scenario several times during a 6 week trip crashing and
breaking through the ice of the Arctic Ocean to various bases. And finish
one trip with a flight to the North Pole. Trust me that's one place you do
not want to run out of film! ;-)

Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from mingthein at gmail.com (Thein Onn Ming) ([Leica] 8 Gig cards? M8?)