Subject: [Leica] IMG: Young Maple
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:35:26 -0500

Hi Ted,

I discovered the little maple this morning, growing where my holly trees
come up against a chain link fence.  The area is crowded, and contains
blackberry briars, honeysuckle, and other pests. We have had about ten
inches more rainfall than an average year-to-date, so I can't believe that
lack of moisture is the problem.

The leaves that I show are the top of the tree.  I think that the red color
is indicative of the way the leaves emerge on this variety of maple.  There
are several varieties in the neighborhood, so I have no idea what this one
is.

I have no doubt that the insects are munching on it.  It is probably more
tasty than the other plants in the area. Some of the blackberry fruit show
insect damage as well.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA