Subject: [Leica] Viet nam 1968! :-)
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 02:18:17 -0400

The world, this community, your friends and foremost your family are
better because of it, Ted. There is no need to apologize. Just stick
with your conviction that you did the right thing. You saved
your skin to continue working and living and loving, and there is
nothing wrong with that.
I was enlisted in the Navy, chose a combat unit and got orders to Iraq.
I was scared out of my wits but I chose to go. Yes, there were many
drafted to go to Vietnam and the world is worse for it, but there are
many lives which would be worse off without certain people in them.
I just say stand up and say to everyone "Yeah, I didn't go." I believe
there's much more to be respected in that honesty about fear and what
life and future you and your family had at stake. I'm pretty sure that
those who didn't come back would say the same thing.
Phil Forrest