Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:18:33 -0400

Someone wrote: "Unlike people, it's rather unlikely that these items
know that they were Nazi's."

For me, it's irrelevant whether the items knew or didn't know. For me,
it's the association with the Nazis that creates immense revulsion. I
can find no pleasure in something tainted by them. The associations
spoil it.

Objects that bear the Swastika upset me, as do objects that have the
old East German symbols. I know too many people who were hurt by the
Nazis, including my great-grandfather whom the Prussians treated poorly
as well.

As for East German symbols, I know all too well what they did. I think
all the time about a friend's girlfriend who essentially was killed by
the security forces for being caught while attempting to escape the
DDR.

I think its best to leave national symbols off of things. There is
hardly a country in the world that hasn't done something reprehensible
at one time or another.

Doug

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,)
Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed,)