Subject: [Leica] To Sell or Not to Sell now Canon/Nikon
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:00:07 -0700

>You could just make a large print yourself and see if you see anything funny
>before you get hints!
>

>Again my problem with Tinas idea on wide angle Canon fringing (and Henning
>agrees) is this is the dominant camera system of the decade.
>So why are we not hearing about this from everybody shooting with it
>Full frame Canons with canon wide angles on it.
>And how can it be the dominate camera as of late with these huge problems?
>

>Mark William Rabiner

Many photographers don't care. Also, if you make 8x10's, or just post
on the web you might not notice. If you shoot for a newspaper, you
certainly can't see it in the result, unless it is very bad - and
yes, I have seen it in some shots because, as Tina has mentioned,
once you have had problems with it, you get rather sensitive to it.

It's not just Canon; it's most maker's lenses including a lot of old
Leica lenses. Only the best and usually the most recent lenses don't
have any visible CA.

Interestingly, the in-camera corrections by the Panasonic G1 probably
fix chromatic aberrations as well as some other lens faults so that a
very inexpensive lens design can lead to output that is of quite high
quality.

Best is of course if you have an outstanding lens in front of a
sensor that doesn't dumb down the file. Like a 28 Summicron or 75 AA
on an M8.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design