Subject: [Leica] IMG: A week in the City of Chicago with my grandson
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 00:52:17 -0500

Thanks Ted.
I have been making hard copy albums using QOOP or Blurb. My wife totally
agrees with you and offers very strong incentives for me to do as she says
:-)

On the other hand, I have spent some time locating and scanning the left
over pics from the time of my grandparents (very few) and great grandparents
(only two so far). I believe there are more out there in the family
somewhere - I just can't find them. My grandfather (who died when I was six)
was reputed to be an amateur photographer who developed and printed in his
darkroom - but I do not have a single print of his. I remember playing with
a brass lens as a very young child - but I have no other memories and no
physical prints or other artifacts.

All this is leading up to my faith in the digital online future.
The Internet Archive:
http://www.archive.org/index.php
scans the whole web periodically and archives it. I checked my own site - it
has copies going back to 2001, which is more than I have. It is embarrassing
how bad my early site was, but it is preserved for posterity, for better or
worse. In addition, one can upload stuff to the archive for future
generations to access (I have not yet done this, but I will get to it)

In the long run, this archive may be more enduring than paper.

In the short term, paper wins. The look and feel of a good print is more
appreciated (gets more oohs and aahs) than any on screen presentation.

In either case, the images or text or whatever has to get off the home
computer or CD or DVD as you say, and get out into the world, or they will
be lost.

So, being a belt and braces kind of guy, I try to do both online and prints,
even though my stuff is not really worth preserving outside of my immediate
family and friends.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.
--
Clive
Blog:  http://clive.moss.net/blog