Subject: [Leica] M8 + Coded Lens = Nada in LR?
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:13:47 -0400

On Fri 10, Jul'09 at  3:03 AM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> I think digital teaches you photography much quicker because of these
> issues
> and the instant feed back you get like shooting a Polaroid every time.
> If I'd started out shooting digital instead of 30 years of floundering with
> film I feel like I'd be a frigging millionaire by now I'd be such a good
> photographer.

I think the lessons learned with film are hard-won lessons.  They are easier
to come by with digital, but easy come, easy go.

Instant feedback is great.  Exposure off?  Take another one.  The fix (for
many) has become shoot another if it's off, not get it right in the first
place, which was the fix for film shooters.  And you can always tweak it in
post too.

The one thing that I think many people forget in these discussions is that
digital is wonderful for those with a strong history in film.  You already
know the fundamentals and the ability to experiment with digital lets you
push your boundaries.  For those who never shot film, let alone with an all
manual camera, it's harder than you think to build that foundation from
which to work from.

I learned more about how metering works on the first roll of Tri-X I shot in
an M than I did from the previous 2 years shooting on a DSLR.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M8 + Coded Lens = Nada in LR?)