Subject: [Leica] New 85 f4 ZM
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:06:07 -0400

On Thu  9, Jul'09 at  2:47 PM -0400, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> But I would think a macro lens would need a few extra elements; hunk of
> glass in there... To do its macro thing. Despite being generally a slower
> lens.

The macro adapter has no glass in it, nor a fancy helical.  It's just an
extension tube.  Actually that's a lie; there is glass in it, but it's just
in the viewfinder correction elements.  They correct for parallax error and
add a bit of magnification.

It's a great lens because even without the macro thingy, it focuses pretty
close for a 90mm (.7m).

> Which I would be tempted to forego.

It's getting harder to find this guy without the macro thingy.  In fact,
when I got mine, I found the complete set used for only a little bit more
than the couple of used lens-only ones that I found.

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New 85 f4 ZM)