Subject: [Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:48:39 -0500

The Acer netbook I bought earlier this year has a second partition on
its hard drive which contains the recovery software and, if I
understand the manual correctly, all of the routines necessary to
return the machine to its default from-the-factory state; in the
event of catastrophe, a change in BIOS setup will allow access to
several different repair/restoration options, including full "restore
to pre-setup factory defaults".

I haven't had a problem, and am rather hesitant to tinker with the
arrangement, so I have no idea exactly how it shakes out in the Real
World... but there are internal recovery options, so it's definitely
worth a quick peruse of the manual.

Quoth the Nathan Wajsman :

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee at rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request