Subject: [Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:23:34 -0500

Quoth the Jeff Moore :

> 2009-07-11-05:06:30 Charlie Meyer:
> > BTW, anyone have suggestions for which Linux flavor is best for
> AMD
> > based laptops?
>
> I've recently revisited the question of whose Linux packaging to
> install, Ubuntu has come back out on top.  I just installed 64-bit Ubuntu
> 9.04 on a little server, and am pleased to report that 64-bit Linux seems
> be mainstream and no particular trouble now.

I have Ubuntu 9.04 "on a stick" on both my AMD64 HP laptop and my
Atom netboook, for the rare occasions when I need Linux in the field
for some reason, and it seems to work fine on both.  I didn't much
care for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, the desktop had been changed and a
bunch of things weren't the way I wanted them, but getting Ubuntu to
install on a USB drive was easy....

My current PITA is getting my new machine, running 9.04-64 desktop
(powering my scanners and, eventually, holding the photo library) to
interface with my existing XP network.  Networking was never my long
suit, and getting Samba configured is apparently a bit more complex
than it looks.  I'll get it pummeled into submission one of these
days, however.

Replies: Reply from mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope) ([Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son)
Message from charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer) ([Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son)