Subject: [Leica] Repairs by DAG
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:21:47 -0400

A thought on the future of film use for film cameras.

Bostick and Sullivan came out a few years ago, maybe ten, with platinum
printing paper; an item off the shelves for a good hundred years. People did
ok coating it themselves but its nice to have a convenience.
With billions and billions of film cameras out there there is always going
to be some hair brained Bostick and Sullivan from Bosnia rogue company
cranking the stuff out for people who want to do their image making in a
more nostalgic, to them superior way. And can afford the water bills.
Is there life without unsharp mask? Yes.

The best photographic tool to make a photograph remains a simple view
camera. Most would vote 8x10 Deardorf. Made mostly of wood.
http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Merles_History.htm

" The Deardorf raised flax and wool from which they made all of the cloth
for their clothes. '
Deardorf started out making the looms to make the cloth out of the flax and
wool they made on their farm. They made their own tools read the article.
http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Merles_History.htm

Obviously for reportage a Leica beats a Deardorf.
But if you wanted the best possible image of your house or the tree in your
back yard or the sky or the ocean and blow it up big on your wall the tool
of choice remains view camera. Most often voted best is Deardorf. But there
are mouth watering options.

Things come and go in photography but some things stay the same.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Repairs by DAG)