Subject: [Leica] Repairs by DAG
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:54:21 +0100

Actually electronics have been shown to be very much more reliable and
accurate than mechanical devices. The problem repairing electronic
devices in 60 years time will be availability of spares. In the case
of mechanical cameras the same problem will exist. Spares for most
mechanical cameras are no longer available already so unless a
craftsman can be found who is willing to make a spare part, such a
person still exists and you can afford it, it won't be fixable, but in
the meantime the shutter and aperture will have been less accurate and
a CLA required far more often;-)
It is like old cars, they worked, but not too well, they broke down a
lot and were inefficient but easily fixed.
I am a mechanical engineer who appreciates electronics (a lot).
Frank