Subject: [Leica] speaking of cars... wayback
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:20:19 +0100
References: <mailman.1105.1247155246.92465.lug@leica-users.org><18027.207.238.164.226.1247161962.squirrel@mail.expedient.net><F0AFF028-5906-4158-9675-4A78F0C3A23D@btinternet.com><ab85ccad5fe50531884d52af0d782baf@cox.net><8ED93772-6502-430E-AC6C-B536E5B725CB@btinternet.com><4A57AA94.4020908@hale-pohaku.net> <4A57D1FD.5080908@san.rr.com><46752C2E-C9C8-461C-A429-D56568E029B6@btinternet.com><4cfa589b0907102206o3b8e5d9bgb3bceed35af5e16e@mail.gmail.com> <A441CBB5-DB8F-45FB-A131-6578217F9BC2@btinternet.com> <F3DCC9202A854CAC8B6253EAF604548D@DesktopRC> <4A5AABA9.2080909@hemenway.com>

Fun car! I couldn't afford a sortscar until I was in my 40s but have
had 3 since.
The problem with Whitworth (and BA) threads was the standardisation
maniacs. We ended up with Unified (inch sizes) and Iso metric, neither
of which are as technically sound as Whitworth BA and BSF  in
threadform or suitableness but appealed to the neat minded regulators
with 60 deg threads and nice integer thread per inch rules. Then there
were a whole bunch of parts which people often did not have the
correct taps, dies and spanners for.
As an engineer who had to re-engineer bolted junctions to use unified
threads i can attest that direct replacement resulted in a inferior
joint, and redesign resulted in heavier bulkier solutions.
Frank

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] speaking of cars... wayback)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] speaking of cars - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand)
Message from stasys1 at cox.net (Stasys Petravicius) ([Leica] speaking of cars - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Grand)