Subject: [Leica] OT!!! Folding Bikes
From: Neil.Beddoe at mbamfunds.com (Neil Beddoe)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:23:12 +0100

I have the misfortune to have to cross central London to get to work.
Having endured one too many rucksacks in the face on the London underground,
I decided to get a fold up bike to get from Liverpool St to St James and I
tested a few before deciding to get a Brompton which hopefully should be
ready today.

The first part of my journey is by train and there is nowhere to stow a
full-size bike so I had to get one that would fold up really small.  That
precluded some of the bigger bikes that simply fold in half but I didn't
want to get one that didn't ride like a normal bike.

I tried six others and the Brompton was the one that felt stiffest and most
substantial when I rode it.   It was also the bike that folded the smallest
and was easily customisable (I needed a longer seat post).  The disadvantage
was the cost as they aren't the cheapest but nor are they the most
expensive.  Then again I got one for half what I paid for a 35mm Summilux
ASPH a few years ago.

Neil