Subject: [Leica] photography and taxes: sort of OT
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:43:13 -0500

I thought some of you might like to know the IRS has a renewed initiative to
audit "hobby losses", cases where the IRS thinks a business lacks a profit
motive.  While this could arguably now encompass banks and car
manufacturers, the thrust is on smaller operations.  Here is a fairly good
summary:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/10/irs-taxes-hobbies-personal-finance-hobby.ht
ml

I mention it since I see photography is one of the activities specifically
mentioned.  The article has some planning ideas, but not all the factors
courts have considered. Having your photography business categorized as a
"hobby" can be particularly bad, since in many cases the gross income is
taxable, but the deductions are not allowed, because of the alternative
minimum tax.

Anyway, you pros who are not breaking even might want to give it a look and
talk with your tax advisor.

Ken
(whose only print sales are those donated to charity auctions where there is
too much whiskey served)