Subject: [Leica] The Leica M8.2 Experience
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:03:04 +0000 (UTC)

>>I'd think
>>the Epson RD1
>>the "most direct competition"
>>to the M8 or M8.2

A good and fair point, but I didn't mention it because it's not widely
available at this time new.?

I owned one for a couple of years.? In terms of the human/machine interface,
was a good but not a great user experience.? The M8 may not be an MP but
it's still basically an M, in my opinion.? I will say that the Epson made
wonderful files, and did so every time you pushed the release (no
"Attention: Shutter Fault" messages) but the files were of course very
different from the M8 files.? I think my?biggest issue was that the
rangefinder seemed to need calibration quite frequently even when the camera
was delicately treated, which was unfortunate.?

In the end, I think a comparison is difficult because of the significance in
both price and?optical/mechanical/electronic differences.? I think I paid
something like $1400 for the RD-1 at the Epson store, while the "
recertified " M8s are running $3000.?? Not sure what the R-D1x (is that the
new production version?) is selling for new.

John