Subject: [Leica] Large Format Digital view camera Live View!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:24:07 -0400

Combining two threads - much if not most Nasa space shooting was done with
Hassy modular cameras and a few I think with similar Rollei's.
They took the mirrors out and used the crudest wire or NO view finder simply
pointing the cameras at the subject they were shooting.
Square format is nice that way.

Exposure was sometimes done not with meters but the guys on the earth had
computers which would just tell them which f stop to use.

I know  - why would sticking something in a square be better or easier than
sticking it in a rectangle but trust me it kind of just is.

If the shot of Buzz Aldrin on the moon had his had cut off I don't think it
would quite be the same. People would be going "yea we went to the moon but
it was no big deal the pictures didn't come back all that good from the
drugstore".

Lots of black around the earth they had some leeway.
Cropped later. No ones inviting Neil Armstrong into Magnum.

Mark William Rabiner