Subject: [Leica] 4/3's lens firmware updates
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:27:50 +1000

Dick, as you noted there, the big companies are compensating for optical
manufacture and design limitations with smarter and smarter firmware. Leica
has said that they prefer to engineer the lenses as well as possible  rather
than correct errors later. Naturally that is simplistic and there are
interdependent priorities and philosophies there. In principle I think that
many Leica enthusiasts prefer the second approach.

One recent development that I found interesting is the release of the new
DNG 1.3.0.0 standard. As I understand it, some firmware operations, such as
lens corrections will be moved to the converter. This potentially has
significance for Leica firmware and future products. Well worth pursuing on
the Adobe sites if you are interested.
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_spec_1_3_0_0.pdf

--
Cheers