Subject: [Leica] mac-windoz
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 23:20:52 -0700

>Sonny, I'm sorry your Macbook was a pain.
>I use Macs entirely because mine have been less work to maintain
>than the PCs I used before. If yours is more work to maintain, then
>clearly it isn't helping you. I don't even know what the "dreaded
>X-battery icon" is, but it sounds like battery failure. I have
>always bought a spare battery with every laptop I've ever owned, Mac
>or PC. But I've never had to use the spare except once with a
>lavender-and-gray Sony laptop that ran Windows ME.
>
>They say cats can walk into a room, figure out who in the room
>doesn't like cats, and go jump into that person's lap. It sounds
>like your Macbook did the same thing.
>
>Brian

Current MacBook Pros come with batteries that are not user
replaceable, but last up to 7 or 8 hours. If you want more power, I
guess you're expected to buy third party externals. I've had Macs
since they first sprouted in 1984, but they've done some dumb things.
This is one of them. One of the other things was leaving off firewire
in some of the previous generation, but they've reconsidered. I hope
they do the same with the battery issue.

On the other hand, I've only every had a repair on one in 25 years,
and my laptop gets used about 5 hours a day, every day. My tower gets
the other 3 hours or so.

Windoze machines I've had never got half the use, but I probably
spent 5 times as much time maintaining them.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com