Subject: [Leica] IMG: Image to hang in Wisconsin Photography 2009
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:24:12 -0700

George Lottermoser offered:

<http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=1228>

Wisconsin Photography 2009

August 9th through November 28th

RAM's Wustum Museum of Fine Arts

2519 Northwestern Avenue

Racine, WI 53404-2299

http://www.ramart.org <http://www.ramart.org/>

Hi George,

First, congratulations on a photo in the exhibition. However, I agree with
your comments whole heartedly about a "REAL PRINT" or prints or on a CD
being presented for a gallery showing. Let alone a "judge or committee"
making an evaluation of just another image on the screen! :-(

We can pretty well see the difference image to mage good, bad or ugly on a
computer or projected screen. But I'd like to offer a quotation I found some
years ago that kind of fits this situation in regard to a print and what we
might say is a projected image..

"There isn't anything more beautiful than a big black and white photograph.

It does something that television can never do. ....by  HARRY REASONER. TV
Anchorman

There isn't any question a print in hand adds to the visual appreciation in
the overall quality of the photograph. Sure we're all pretty well accustomed
to the screen image and making an assessment, nevertheless a print in hand
you hold "and feel" creating a completely different sensation of quality,
the projected image does not!

The image to be hung in a gallery burned to CD makes the photograph "just
another CD photo like every other today picture sans feel of quality."

In the case of the photo industry, certainly those of advertising and news,
fine a CD burn fits 99.9% of requirements for the idiocy of today's demands.
"I need it yesterday" even when you know it's going to sit on the art
directors desk for another 48 hours before everyone can look at it.
But a Gallery showing? One would think the judging should be carefully
carried out "one print at a time!" Discussion if necessary while it sits
under an examining light.

Oh well maybe I'm showing my "How we did it in the old days!"  :-(

 But we were right! :-)

Cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] IMG: Image to hang in Wisconsin Photography 2009)