Subject: [Leica] Apples vs. Dells vs. Lenovos, vs. etc
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:38:26 -0400

My 1984 Mac was the original 128 KB model that the girl in the track suit
with the hammer induced me to buy. I also got the absurdly expensive add-on
floppy drive. The computer was sold through the Apple University Consortium.
You paid your money up front, about $2500 as I remember, and then waited
several months for the computer to arrive. Just like Hitler sold
Volkswagens. Apple apparently used the prepayment money to start up the
assembly line. The Mac replaced an Apple Lisa which was a nice but very
unreliable desk hogging computer and far too expensive. Later the Mac was
upgraded to a mind blowing 512 KB ram.

My computer epiphany occurred when I first plugged the Mac in. Everything
worked the first time. No smoke! OS 1.0 was intuitive. My 8 year old
daughter was drawing pictures in MacDraw and writing little stories in
MacWrite in minutes. A far cry from every computer I had used before. Just
like an automatic P&S camera compared to a Barnack Leica. I was forced to
use IBM PCs at work. IBM gave us free computers but I stayed with Macs at
home, through just about every model from the SE to the latest iMac. The
increase in Apple stock price has supported this addiction. From the initial
purchase price of $7 a share, through two 2:1 splits, to it's current level
of about $150 a share. It truly was the computer for the rest of us.

For the couple of people who asked, the computer I worked with in the 1950's
was the Aiken Mark II, an electro mechanical kluge that filled a large room
and had the power of a modern pocket calculator. But it was state of the art
then.

For those of you that care about such stuff, the absolute best work
processing program for older Macs is WriteNow. It is a blazingly fast
program that puts the word processing ability of MS Word to shame.
Unfortunately since it was written in machine language it won't work on the
Intel Macs.?

Larry Z