Subject: [Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 42, Issue 222
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 16:04:01 -0400

On Jul 25, 2009, at 3:16:45 PM, Ted wrote:

you have no credibility as a photojournalist doing a proper
and truthful assignment and should be "happy snapping for Playboy!

Many years back I would have loved it. Different strokes for different
folks. My first paying job in photography was in 1948 as a photo
stringer for the Boston Globe. As a joke, the Photo Editor assigned me
the burlesque beat in Scolley Square. Boston was a big Navy town then
and the star performers at the Old Howard theater rated a couple of
paragraphs and a picture or two. The burlesque theaters bought big

On my first week Sally Rand and her troupe were the featured
performers. Motherly (then middle aged) Sally took me, a shy 18 year
old cameraman with a huge Speed Graphic, under her wing. She arranged
shoots with her girls, warned me which ones to approach and which to
stay away from. I was in heaven. My pictures, stage managed by Sally,
even impressed the Photo Editor and I was promoted to more
substantive, if less erotic, work. I kept in touch with Sally for
several years and visited her every time she was in Boston. Not street
photography to be sure.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LUG Digest, Vol 42, Issue 222)