Subject: [Leica] Women
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:42:18 -0500

Thank you for the reference image Phil.
I went back and found the photograph.

(I'm now talking about this image
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/luisrq/Barcelona/L1006915.jpg.html>)

The photograph does not fit into what I think of as "street
photography."
Nor do I see anything offensive or disrespectful in the photograph.
I see a beautiful young woman tastefully presented
as she herself has chosen to present herself in public spaces.

I don't think it's a particularly strong photograph.
It's a "look at this beautiful young woman on this lovely summer day"
catch.
I gave it 1 second glance when first posted some days ago.

If I were going to attach a genre name to the image
it falls most closely into a "candid, environmental portrait" genre;
to my way of thinking.

Because Ann's 22 year old daughter lives with us
I know how much time (probably) went into this subjects "look" for
the day.
She decided how she wanted to be "seen."

I cannot imagine that this photograph
presents a moral dilemma for a photographer
or a photographic community with,
what often seems like,
a distinct preference for documentary photographs.

Here's examples of what advertisers feed our young people as fashion
and style sense:
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/21/sex-in-the-sky-most-
scand_n_241965.html>

This combined with the fact that apparently young (and in some cases
very young) people
currently send nude photographs of each other on their cell phones
is socio/cultural discussion worth having on photographic list.

I have the utmost respect for women.
I grew up with a mother and sister (and absent father).
I lived with a wife and daughter for 25 years;
and have lived with Ann and her daughter for over 20 more.
My 4 year old granddaughter qualifies as the most beautiful person in
my life at the moment.

I feel no shame in appreciating the beauty of either my own or the
opposite sex (of any age).
Healthy appreciation does not suddenly become "lecherous" by one
person's proclamation.

We are both sensual and sexual beings.
Our novels, poems, films, music and visual art celebrate
and endlessly examine that fact.
These are not "red herrings."

Certainly people will always question taste and or limits.
However, the photograph in question does not cross any sort of line
regarding respect or lecherous intent to my eyes.

Obviously, it does for others.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com