Subject: [Leica] S2 release dates and prices
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:50:34 -0500

Anyone interested in
the "real" performance of
these large state-of-the-art sensors
and the quality of glass,
degree of precision, and quality control
required to achieve maximum image quality
owes it to themselves to read
<http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html>

He (and a few friends) tested numerous backs, lenses and bodies;
and had to return numerous backs and lenses due to quality control
issues.

Hasselblad/Fuji didn't perform "exceptionally" in their tests.
Some Fuji glass failed miserably.
Some of the Schneider and Rodenstock "digital" lenses performed well
while other samples of the same lenses failed miserably (quality
control?)
He finally settled on a PhaseOne back (after returning 3 samples for
sensor placement exceeding +or- 12 microns)
and Mamiya lenses.

Point being that the resolution of the current, best sensors requires
precision and glass
at a magnitude greater than what we normally discuss here.
The cost of producing these systems in their limited quantity is
enormous.

I'd love to have a CFV back for my CM, 40, 80, 120 Kit.
But I'm not kidding myself into thinking that I'd have come anywhere
close to
what a current state-of-the-art, perfectly calibrated, large sensor
system can produce.
Nor do I believe that the CFV on my CM would work nearly as quickly
as an S2.

I believe that the Leica S2 will compete admirably in that arena
with a unique, smaller, faster form factor.
The S2 is a new breed, which the high end fashion photographers will
adore.
(just as the M8 remains the only precision offering in its form factor)
With a fine PC lens the high end architectural and product
photographers will also love S2.
Salgado will use it and love it (I'd bet the price of a good drink).
If Leica provides the precision and the glass required to get
everything out of the sensor
the S2 will be a hit in the intended markets - if they fail - oh well.

We'll know soon enough

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com