Subject: [Leica] Fw: DOF Using the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 in Macro Range
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 17:51:40 -0500

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 5:48 PM
Subject: DOF Using the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 in Macro Range

I realize the several LUGGERS have and may still use the Elmarit-R 60/2.8
Macro. This lens is new to me, and the DOF in the macro range (below 20
inches) was a surprise to me, though, if I had really comtemplated the
issue, I should have expected it.  In short, the DOF at near distances is
very limited.

To evalulate what I was dealing with, I started by using some very wild
interpolation of the distance and DOF scales on the lens itself, plotted the
data, faired out the obvious errors, and arrived at a table of values.  I
then set up a quick experiment with the camera and lens, a tripod,
yardstick, and colored pins.  The photos show me that the table is fairly
accurate.

I am submitting the table for comments and for the enlightenment of anyone
else currently using this lens.

        DOF TABLE
(all dimensions in inches)

Distance    f/22    f/16    f/11