Subject: [Leica] Peter's article on Wagner is up
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:51:36 +0200

I agree, an excellent article on a very complex theme.

The influence of the Wagner family, not just Wagner himself (or his
music), is very probably infinitely more complex.

The Mitford sisters, (with connections to Oswald Mosley, Diana Mitford
was engaged to him - my father threw stones at Mosley at a political
rally in Leeds before the war) and other prominent British, American and
European fascists were frequent guests of the family and the Festspiele
in Bayreuth.

Winfred Wagner was born in England and met Hitler in 1923, supported him
during his imprisonment after the Munich putsch and afterwards, and
although obviously besotted with AH, is said to have deplored the
persecution of the Jews in a letter in the late 1930s which she wrote to
prevent the parents of Katia, the Jewish wife of Thomas Mann, being
arrested by the Gestapo (all well and good, but if Katia had been less
prominent, I doubt very much whether Winifred would have taken the
trouble to intervene.)

Winifred was also instrumental in an attempt to secure funding for the
Nazi Party from Henry Ford, an attempt that failed despite Ford's
declared anti-Semitism. Despite this, AH later awarded Ford one of the
highest honours of the German Reich (he also honoured the then head of IBM).
Ford never returned the medal after WWII was over.**

The Wagner villa, Wahnfried (literally peace from insanity or delusion)
in Bayreuth became a gathering place and centre of gravity for almost
every shade of brown politics.

The Festspiele were also THE place to be seen for anyone with ambitions
of rising through the Nazi hierarchy, as it is today for aspiring
politicians,
big-business and so-called prominence.

When you read about the quarrels between the members of the new
generation of Wagners, it is quite clear that although their political
couleur may have changed in 60 or 70 years, the despotic ways of the
family have, however, changed but little.

Douglas

** http://rationalrevolution.net/war/american_supporters_of_the_europ.htm