Subject: [Leica] OT: Q re Possible Customs Fees re Shipping Laptop US to Bangkok
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:15:14 +0200

Hi Bob,

In general, tariffs on industrial goods like computers are quite low
these days (I assume Thailand is a member of the WTO). For example,
the customs duty on photo gear imported into the EU from 3rd countries
like the US is in 3-4% range. In Europe, you also have to pay VAT
(sales tax, basically) on top of that, ranging from 15% to 25%,
depending on country. I have no idea if they have that in Thailand.
More importantly, I also have no idea how much red tape (if any) is
associated with an item clearing customs there; in a country like that
I can imagine it could range from zero to several weeks.

It is a good idea to use the USPS and not one of the express carriers
like UPS or Fedex. That is true for all international shipments. The
reason is that they will often charge the recipient a very high fee
just for performing the service of clearing customs. When I lived in
Belgium, I once had to pay UPS something like $50 on a $100 item that
had not even incurred any Belgian duty! With USPS, you never get
ripped off in this manner. The post office in the destination country
will simply collect any duty and VAT that may be due and that's it.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu