Subject: [Leica] OT: Q re Possible Customs Fees re Shipping Laptop US to Bangkok
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 15:01:42 -0500

Nathan, thanks for your reply.

I am curious - and you may not know this, I may have to search for it
elsewhere - but is duty and/or VAT charged even if one is shipping
one's own property to oneself?  For example, if I wanted to travel
light and shipped my laptop or golf clubs (well, I don't play play
golf) or whatever to catch up with me at some point in my travels,
would I have to pay customs duty or VAT to receive same?  What about
shipping a family member's laptop to catch up with them?

Does labeling the item as a gift make any difference?  Or is it just
the act of the goods crossing the border into the country that makes
duty and/or tax due and whoever 'owns' the goods is irrelevant?

Do we not have an international commerce and tax lawyer on the LUG?

<g>

Thanks,

--Bob

==On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Nathan Wajsman<photo at frozenlight.eu>