Subject: [Leica] Lament for a dying field
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:59:18 -0500

Lots of smaller papers no longer have photogs, they just hang a P&S on
the reporter's wrist, pat him on the butt and send him out the door.

Same way at smaller TV stations, now that you can shoot HD with a
handheld camera.

When I grew up I wanted to be a news photographer, and I was fortunate
to be able to do it in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, when news was
really news.  Before CNN in New Orleans, there were three network
affiliates, I worked at two of them over the years.  My last stint was
as a show producer in the early eighties, and it was already becoming
more "If it bleeds, it leads."

 I was among the first generation to come out of college into the
field.  Most of the older guys I worked with were either military
trained or had done newsreel work.  Fascinating to hear their tales.

I've  worked with a few genius reporters, and we crafted the reports
together, a real team.  We had a few reporters who were kinda foggy,
but not much in those markets.  If you worked as a  photographer or
reporter there  you had already been polished in a smaller market.
Several of  the folks I worked with went on to CBS and CNN, and others
to larger markets too, but lots stayed and New Orleans became a very
mature market.  I still look to WWL TV and WBRZ online to get my news,
since both of the dailies here are Gannett.

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
http://sonc.stumbleupon.com/
Natchitoches, Louisiana
(+31.754164,-093.099080)

If you are wondering, the following abolishes Gmail ads.  ;-)

I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without
a messy bloodbath.
USA