Subject: [Leica] Leica Solms Customer Service experience
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:37:54 +1000

Some may know that I visited Solms in mid-June as part of L Camera Forum
activities. I would like to share my experience.
During the customer service area tour on a Friday, I asked the division head
(Joerg Kaufmann) about booking a date for upgrades to my M8.
Joerg and his staff organised for it to be booked in on the spot and the
work was completed, ready to pick up on the next Monday morning.
They were ready to deliver it back on the same day but the computer booking
system was not operating as there was a public holiday prior and the
facility was part staffed for the Friday.
My camera was returned in perfect condition, with the upgrades requested
(frame lines and quiet shutter) plus a complete check to new specification
and an additional year guarantee after the original expires.
The shutter and frameline upgrades of course require extensive disassembly
and Leica measure and calibrate the sensor positioning for example as part
of the work. Sensor position is adjustable down to .01 mm increments at 3
points.

I was loaned an M8.2 to use over the weekend while waiting to get my camera
back on the Monday.
The individual technician who performed my upgrades visited me and asked me
to bring in my 50 & 75 to have the focus adjustment accuracy checked against
my reassembled camera.
This was done in 30 minutes during the camera pick up.
The dignosis was "Your lenses are good, we can make them better!"
With one lens, the technician and division head immediately noticed play in
the focus ring from extensive handling (including my wrongly operating it
several thousand times full travel when new to 'loosen' it.)
I'm told that any detectable play can mean inconsistency when moving to the
same focus point from different directions (near/far) on different
occasions.

Leica waived all of the express fees and charged only the normal fees for
the upgrade work.

The individual checks on the two lenses were performed at no additional
charge.

I left them with Leica for fine adjustment although I have not found any
practical error when using them.
The lenses were in service for 4 weeks, with email updates and on-line
tracking provided from friendly staff.
3 weeks total in German customs and courier transit back here to Australia.
I received them today in perfect condition and very well packed.
The adjustments to my benchmarked M8 measurements and repair of focus play
plus courier and insurance were all performed at no charge to me under
guarantee.

Well done, Leica Customer Service.

--
Cheers