Subject: [Leica] Mark Book Pro
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:19:44 -0500

Mark, I took a similar upgrade path 3 weeks ago. My 12" G4 just wasn't
cutting it any more. Here's what I did and why:

Although there is a nice Apple store here, barely fifteen minutes from
my house, I bought from Mac Connection for several reasons. They gave
me free shipping (even though I ordered over the phone) and they sold
and installed for me copies of Parallels and Windows XP Pro at a
reasonable price; also, I didn't have to pay sales tax.  I need
Windows because there are several applications I need to run in my day
job that are only available in Windows. Plus, I have bought much from
them and their sibling PC Connection over the years and I am a
satisfied customer.

I bought this:
http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=9899497
 or http://tinyurl.com/n5jrgk

Although my back would probably very much prefer my buying the 13" my
eyes will be much happier with the 15".

I spent a lot of time reading internet posts complaining about the
lack of a matte screen version of the 15".  Then I went into the Apple
store and compared 17" matte and glossy versions side by side.  I
decided I would be happier with the glossy version (better blacks) and
I couldn't see myself with a 17" laptop in any event.  Of course the
week after I got mine Apple made a 15" matte version available.  I
still think I'm going to be happier with the glossy, punchier screen.

Finally, whatever you get, allow a full afternoon for configuring and
updating your new software.  Even though I bought everything new out
of the box(es) when I turned it on everything needed to sign on and
grade up.  Unbelievable.

Hope this helps.

Let us know what you get and how you like it.

--Bob