Subject: [Leica] IMG: Information Needed on Cause of Lawn Circle
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:41:04 -0700

Hi Jim.  Did it start smaller and then grow to that size?  It looks like
fairy ring, a fungus (mushroom) that is common in lawns.

They start out small and then grow larger and larger until they just run
their course, usually.  The lawn is usually greener and lusher on the inside
as the fungus processes all the dead things in the lawn and gives the grass
a shot of fertilizer.  If you give it a lot of water, you may see some
mushrooms surface.  The usual "cure" is lots of water.  I saw someone said
to use some detergent.  That might work well as it will allow the water to
soak through what is usually a dense layer of fungus hyphae that does not
allow the water to penetrate at the actual ring.  Probably can't hurt.

Supposedly many fairy ring mushrooms are edible but I have never tried them.

Aram

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Information Needed on Cause of Lawn Circle)