Subject: [Leica] Rescued by a P&S
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:32:59 -0400

Mark wrote:

I just read about an Press guy this year in Iraq who ended up in a river

with all his Canon EOS full frame gear becoming inoperable. The guy next to

him leading him a point and shoot which he shot with for two weeks. Doesn't

sound like anybody complained. I think he won a Pulitzer prize.

I've also read of AP shooters using point and shoots in many situations

where they say "no photography" but are really saying "no Press".

Tourists are allowed to shoot.

Sometimes its best to be a tourist.

---------

I'm sure that most of us have similar stories about how that cheap camera in
the bottom of the camera case saved our bacon. (Beef, if you happen to be
Jewish.)

In my case I was shooting a travel story in Kashmir in the late 1980's when
my high end SLR slipped from my backpack, landed in a mud puddle, and became
nonfunctional. Fortunately I had a Rollei 35SE which I used for the rest of
the trip. The pictures were accepted without question by the editor. In face
one even won a prize. Thank God for those little cameras. Makes you wonder
if we need to haul those big monsters around. I'm going to consider the
Canon G11 very seriously. It is 1/10 the proposed price of the Leica M9.
Could the Leica be 10 times better?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Rescued by a P&S)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Rescued by a P&S)