Subject: [Leica] Rescued by a P&S
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:03:11 -0400

> I'm sure that most of us have similar stories about how that cheap camera
> in
> the bottom of the camera case saved our bacon. (Beef, if you happen to be
> Jewish.)
>

> In my case I was shooting a travel story in Kashmir in the late 1980's when
> my high end SLR slipped from my backpack, landed in a mud puddle, and
> became
> nonfunctional. Fortunately I had a Rollei 35SE which I used for the rest of
> the trip. The pictures were accepted without question by the editor. In
> face
> one even won a prize. Thank God for those little cameras. Makes you wonder
> if we need to haul those big monsters around. I'm going to consider the
> Canon G11 very seriously. It is 1/10 the proposed price of the Leica M9.
> Could the Leica be 10 times better?

I've had a Rollei 35 in a pouch on my belt for many situations.
Day after day and on long road trips.
I'd often forget it was there. Get back and think "I wish I had a camera
there was this one thing would have made a great shot.
They're not light in weight though.
Saved my S on numerous occasions.

http://www.cameraquest.com/rol35se.htm

This was shot with it
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/PortlandRollei35.html
And a yellow green 060 filter I had made for it from B+W.
Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Rescued by a P&S)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Rescued by a P&S)