Subject: [Leica] M8
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:39:33 +0200

My M8 has had a little rain on it from time to time, most recently in
Warsaw in June, without any problems. I suspect what ruined the M8 for
the guy in Greenland was the combination of cold and moisture.

But in the end, neither the M8 nor any of the consumer-level DSLRs are
rainproof. Electronics and water simply don't mix. That is another
reason I have my Bessa R2M with me on trips--since that camera is
mechanical (and cheap!) I don't worry so much.

If you really need to shoot in rain on a regular basis, then one of
the pro-level DSLRs is for you. My Canon 1D2 could take any Amsterdam
downpour without any problems (provided I also used one of the
weatherproof L lenses). But it was HEAVY and BIG and the M8 takes
better pictures.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman