Subject: [Leica] M8 vs. M9--better printers needed
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:58:52 -0400

> WOW, one could fill a gallery space quite reasonably at those RC
> prices especially at 20x24.
>

> At 02:51 PM 8/21/2009, you wrote:
>> Douglas Nygren wrote:
>>
>>> That said I confess I work both in the darkroom and with Photoshop. I
>>> love the control Photoshop provides. If I only had that in the
>>> darkroom. But I also love the look of silver prints.
>>
>> Here's one solution:
>>
>> http://www.digitalsilverimaging.com/

Not to be too much of a pain but I'll take an inkjet print on rag paper 100
times over an RC print of any surface.
I've made tens of thousands of RC prints.
Take them.
I'd rather they would go away. I wince every time I come upon one.
Don't know which is worse the "pearl" or the hyper gloss.
For my commercial work I raised my print prices in the late 90's and gave
all my clients of any kind except weddings fiber prints. Fixed twice. Not
always selenium. Depends on how much I liked them. And I printed them
myself.

RC prints by the way mean nothing to a collector or a gallery or a museum.
They'd not touch them with a ten foot pole.
Yes color prints are in effect RC prints most of them but I'm talking about
black and white.

Just because a print has silver in it does not mean we love it.

I say spend a little more time in the darkroom and make a real silver print
that has some meaning and or value. RC prints are for contact sheets, proofs
and weddings. Shlock commercial work.
Pay to have one done?
Spend another couple of bucks and get fiber.
Will make a regular guy out of you.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich) ([Leica] M8 vs. M9--better printers needed)