Subject: [Leica] Peso: It's that time of year? with link this time
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:21:03 -0700

On Sep 2, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
As a D200 user, I was just about to give it a chance to become famous
>> through eBay & be owned by a third set of hands, when I saw the
>> above.
>> Besides hankering after full frame, noise is one of the reasons for a
>> change. What's the name of the software you recommend?
>>
>> I'm tempted to move to a D700 for my everyday digital as I could
>> still use
>> my existing Nikon glass, but would like some second opinions on
>> that. I find
>> I'm not using my F5 that I bought the glasss for much at all, but
>> use the
>> D200 instead. For 35mm street, I'll use the Leica M3 until an
>> affordable M9
>> comes along, as it's quite wonderful to handle. I'll want to hear
>> how the M9
>> performs and its issues before I move to get one, so a D700 appears
>> to be
>> the obvious current interim full frame option that would cover
>> general
>> photography. What do people think?
>

> I'd expect the use of the D700 going full frame to be a revelation.
> And will be easier to talk about on the LUG; less of a sore point
> after 9:99
> O'clock on the 9th.
> My 105 2.5 I have no desire to use cropped I'd expect to get much
> use of
> with a 1x crop circle factor.
> My 14 2.8 will be another revelation I'm sure.
> No way would a buy another 1.5 crop DSLR which was not the same size
> or
> smaller than a Leica Barnack. If not 0.6666666666666667x  smaller.
>
> But the dilemma is this for me.
> The D700 has been out a full year.
> I have an interesting if not respectable if not full set of Nikon
> glass.
> I have a full set of Leica glass.

I turned to my computer after just completing another (second)
conversion to use R leica glass on the Nikon D700, so thought I'd talk
about it...

This time it was done for the Summilux 50mm 1.4 ROM to Nikon mount,
using the leitax adapter.. This was easier and quicker  than the
first, the Summilux 80mm 1.4...

Many have done it before me with excellent results, both with the
conversion, and the photographs. Knowing this I finally, after a long
delay,  was persuaded to go ahead...

I have used this Nikon camera with Nikon glass, and the R glass I have
used on the R8, R9,  Oly E3, and the Canon 5D...

The Nikon D700 camera is not bad, the R glass is not bad, the idea is
attractive...so done...

Simply a way to use my wonderful, R glass on a full frame digital body
that is certainly no slouch...and the results so far are fine...but I
am just now at the beginning. Now to go take some more photos...

Steve