Subject: [Leica] More about Leitax
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 16:03:40 -0400

> Dennis wrote:
>
>>> The Leitax is really interesting.<<
>
> Interesting to me in the sense that it's a practical way to use R lenses
> on a digital camera, as long as you're willing to forego a few features
> that essentially take you back to the way cameras operated in the 70's
> (which personally I'm rather fond of).
>
> Going retro might sound crazy. OTOH, I took photographs that were as
> good  with a Nikon F as with an F4. Some modern features just aren't
> essential for me (unless, of course, I'm in a hurry and must get the
> shot -- i.e. weddings and commercial work -- but I stay away from that
> stuff these days.).
>
> Even though I have Nikkor lenses I've used them perhaps 1% of the time
> since I converted 3 R lenses to F mount. There's a big difference
> between toting around a D200 and 17-55/2.8 versus a D700 and 50/2 R and
> 28/2.8 R lenses, in terms of how heavy they feel.
>
> I walk on average 18 holes of golf twice a week through the summer,
> which is equivalent to 10 miles. My clubs weight 25 lbs and I carry them
> when I walk. I don't have a problem carrying stuff, IOW. But when I
> carry a DSLR and zoom I feel it after about a mile.
>
> I was in DC a couple of weeks ago and walked 7 miles with my D700 and R
> lenses. No problem whatsoever with that outfit. D200 & zoom versus D700
> and primes don't seem very different, until I carry them. If I didn't
> want a one camera solution that I could put long lenses on, or zooms as
> when the need arose, I'd have an M8. Right or wrong I decided I'd
> sacrifice a little weight for versatility.
>
> Dave R

I don't own a Nikon 2.8 zoom.
Full frame or cropped.
I don't think nikon glass has to be defined by its Yuban coffee can zooms.
We can use the slower zooms or primes which say nikon on them.
See how they stack up against  Leica glass.
I'd expect Leica glass to kick Nikon ass in most cases.

Though Leica does not have a 14-24 nor does Canon.
I'd be quicker to buy a 14-24 which was slower and more compact.

There really is no full frame 12-24 f4 Nikkor.

Yes there is the Sigma.

Mark William Rabiner