Subject: [Leica] More about Leitax
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:27:35 -0400

Dennis wrote:

>>The Leitax is really interesting.<<

Interesting to me in the sense that it's a practical way to use R lenses
on a digital camera, as long as you're willing to forego a few features
that essentially take you back to the way cameras operated in the 70's
(which personally I'm rather fond of).

Going retro might sound crazy. OTOH, I took photographs that were as
good  with a Nikon F as with an F4. Some modern features just aren't
essential for me (unless, of course, I'm in a hurry and must get the
shot -- i.e. weddings and commercial work -- but I stay away from that
stuff these days.).

Even though I have Nikkor lenses I've used them perhaps 1% of the time
since I converted 3 R lenses to F mount. There's a big difference
between toting around a D200 and 17-55/2.8 versus a D700 and 50/2 R and
28/2.8 R lenses, in terms of how heavy they feel.

I walk on average 18 holes of golf twice a week through the summer,
which is equivalent to 10 miles. My clubs weight 25 lbs and I carry them
when I walk. I don't have a problem carrying stuff, IOW. But when I
carry a DSLR and zoom I feel it after about a mile.

I was in DC a couple of weeks ago and walked 7 miles with my D700 and R
lenses. No problem whatsoever with that outfit. D200 & zoom versus D700
and primes don't seem very different, until I carry them. If I didn't
want a one camera solution that I could put long lenses on, or zooms as
when the need arose, I'd have an M8. Right or wrong I decided I'd
sacrifice a little weight for versatility.

Dave R

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] More about Leitax)