Subject: [Leica] Annie's in trouble again
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 19:31:10 -0400

One of my very first jobs as a free lance photographer in Portland in the
late 70's was to shoot photographic backdrops for a Janzen's swimwear
catalog. Interesting as because of the deadlines involved I had to do this
shoot all day on January 1st of that year. While everybody was off the
streets recovering from their new years hangovers.
These images were rear projected behind the models which were shot by the
main photographer who remained a mentor then friend of mine for decades
living and working in Portland Oregon. Actually it may have been front
projected using another new or experimental processs.
Was I given credit in the catalogs and other places where these composites
appeared? I didn't even look I'm sure not. Nobody cared. I got paid I sure
didn't.  My name didn't need to be on there. It was the photographers work.
He was smart enough to hire me to shoot the backdrops. That made for a
better final product as he was otherwise involved shooting gorgeous models
in little bathing suits on a seamless a thing I vowed I'd do later and then
did!
Nobody cared if he shot the backdrops or not or how the images got to be
where and how they were.
I could have been an idiot and tried to extort money later but I didn't have
the big fat dollar signs in front of my eyes that this guy had.

This guy shot all kinds of pictures in Rome and Venice and he's calling it
"location scouting".
I bet the used phrased was "support photography".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jantzen

Mark William Rabiner