Subject: [Leica] X1 to G11 comparison
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:52:41 -0700

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Henning Wulff <henningw at archiphoto.com>
wrote:

> Comparing a $2000 fixed lens APS-C CMOS Leica to a 1/1.7in. $500 zoom G11
> is like comparing (in film terms) a Voigtlander Bessa III (the new one) to
> an APS zoom P&S. Where do you start?

Well first cast off the part about price. That part comes later.

For someone looking for a small camera the G11 might be a good
comparison. I can't really talk to the analogy you made but in this
segment it's going to be form/function/size/weight. Will there be a
real image quality difference between these cameras? You'd HOPE so.
But Canon has done something somewhat radical with the G11 - they
actually reduced the pixel count. Amazing, really. It implies to me
they are rethinking the space in which the camera will live.

I don't see the allure of the X1 myself.

Adam