Subject: [Leica] Leica Won't Improve Your Photography
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:16:10 +0100

If you work with small depth of field my experience is that AF -
always- gets it wrong unless you help it by selecting the af point.
Wingtip in focus, rather than body in bird-in-flight shots, nose tip
in focus rather than eyes in portraits. I accept that some of my
subject will be "in the boke" when using fast lenses, it is just that -
I- want to decide what it is, not the camera.
Stopped down in good light with short zooms, where the sharpness plane
does not stand out as much, af is fine.
Few of the motor racing pros I know use AF all the time, and when they
do it is only to get in the right ballpark quickly, you can then see
them touching up the fine focus manually.
Frank