Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Another Church In New Mexico
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:30:22 -0500

> What I need to do is learn to correct the distortion in
> Photoshop....it can be done, I've seen it done.  Or, I suppose, I
> could have carried a step ladder in my car and backed off a long ways
> and shot with a longish lens.  Maybe next time I'll think of that.
>
> Also in my defense, my memory is there is a slight curvature or slope
> to some of the walls - and some of my shots with a 35mm lens (rejected
> in editing for other reasons) bear this out - but obviously not to the
> extent pictured here.
>
> > And! It wouldn't look like you were trying to squeeze a big building
> into a
> > small box! As in I feel these are cropped too tightly and lose the
> pleasant
> > open atmosphere we saw in the first post.

        Opinions will differ, but IMHO any w/a distortion is a good tradeoff
in isolating the church.  Then again, I tend to make photos as I think the
scene should look, not necessarily how it looks.  I would be a poor
photojournalist, or be quickly fired.  You can certainly correct distortion
in PS, but in the case of the NM churches, a question would be: what would
you correct it to?  I don't think I've ever seen one with a straight line
anywhere.  I like the fourth and fifth images, curves and all.

Ken

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] IMGS: Another Church In New Mexico)