Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Another Church In New Mexico
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:11:43 -0500

interesting discussion
around the various "approaches" in photography.

I, like Ted, believe "architecture" should be photographed
with a level on the camera whenever possible
and preferably with the use of PC rise, fall, shift;
all of which preserve the integrity of the building.

at the same time
I have no problem with artistic license and wild interpretations
if
they work to help me understand the building
or
in some way go beyond it to say something else.
I feel the same way about many wide angle distortions
even beyond architecture.

True camera level perspective control
is quite difficult with digital cameras and backs;
requiring expensive wide angle lenses and PC devices.

Photoshop "works"
yet not quite in the same way
that a plumb camera does.

One way to tackle NM churches or Gaudi buildings
is to shoot a reference photo with a level camera
and use it to compare with your photoshop corrections.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com