Subject: [Leica] Video of M9 assembly
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:32:45 +1000

Larry, I can't comment on your statistic, although I have Quality training
and experience. I don't know if you could make a valid generalisation
comparing such a broad range of operators though. Maybe the figures might
get skewed at each end of the precision scale! But the video of course only
touches one small portion of the process as the major sub-assemblies are
mated and testing started. You are seeing nothing from the Portugal plant
manufacture nor from Jenoptik where the Kodak sensors are married to their
boards.
Compare the advantages/disadvantages of the design and assembly philosophies
for Japanese mass produced lenses and the hand assembled Leica ones, for
example. Certainly you cannot achieve 0 error rate with either method.  I
think fair to say that most Leica customers will prefer the Leica product.

I think it is a bit bit tough maybe to suggest that the customers are the
test department, certainly based on anecdotal evidence from this on-line
group (or others). Stefan said that M production has been consistent at
10,000 to 12,000 cameras annually. You could make your own guesses at return
rates if you wanted. Certainly Leica admits that they have learnt from the
M8 design and production. Let's see how the new camera fares once it is
available in quantity?
Leica Camera AG right now is completely committed to the new M and the S2.
The M8 is discontinued all together. Leica considers that used M8's are the
entry path for new customers into M photography (plus a trickle of M7/MP's
into the Asian market).The lens ranges obviously for M especially and S
totally will thrive or fail on the viability of those bodies. Clearly the
company's fortunes will be affected by both.