Subject: [Leica] R-Series Owners Stranded?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:01:02 -0400 (EDT)

Leonard J Kapner wrote:

>But I also have a significant investment in R-series: Several M8s and
>a range of prime lenses from 18-280mm. I was very happy a while back
>when a Leica factory executive mentioned an R10 in development, only
>to learn less than a year later that it had been decommitted. I have
>tested the DMR solution extensively and find it clumsy, obsolescent
>and wanting.
>
>Now, I understand there is recently available an adapter line for
>current Canon and Nikon full-frame bodies, as well as a Novoflex
>solution to mate Leica lenses to micro/3rds format that preserves
>aperture priority automation when used with Panasonic reflex digital
>bodies. And there are rumors of some sort of subterranean project
>involving Leica in the works, to bring us a full-frame reflex solution
>that takes full advantage of the hard-coded R-series lenses.
>
>To my mind, a solution of the best kind would be a Leica-designed full-
>frame digital body, with all the functionality of the film R9, plus
>focus confirmation. To use my R-series lenses to full advantage in the
>kind of photography I enjoy most, I think I need little else.
>
>To our expert commentators and Leica watchers on the list, what do you
>think is the most likely probability for the R-series, going forward?
>And if it's not a Leica-based solution, what's next best?

All of the adapted solutions so far result in manual aperture control, i.e.,
no auto-diaphragm.  Leica has mentioned a non-Leica, non-SLR solution with
more info at next year's photokina.  My best guess is that this would be an
EVIL camera.  I don't see enough of a market to make this an R-only camera
so that means lens mount flexibility of some kind.

The DMR is slow, big and heavy by modern standards but the file quality is
gorgeous and it maintains the lens' auto-aperture feature.  I bought a
backup DMR.  Beyond this my crystal ball is outside its design parameters.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com