Subject: [Leica] M9 in hand
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:25:26 -0400

I had a chance to play around with a black M9 today at the local Leica
dealer. A few quick comments from someone who has never been an M8 owner:

- the discrete/soft release option makes for a rather stealthy electronic
motorized camera, but still not as stealthy as a Konica Hexar!

- the finder, RF patch and framelines seem particularly clear and sharp, and
I like the return to the classic 35/135 combo rather than the 24/35 combo in
the crop-factored M8 finder.

- the cutaway top cover panel where the LCD frame counter was on the M8 (and
the rewind on film Leicas) does give a somewhat sleeker sculpted look to the
camera. The whole package is very handsome indeed. Small point: I prefer the
look of the all black hot shoe on the M8.2

- menu navigation seems super-intitive but there's still too many friggin'
buttons and controls on the back for my taste. I bet a least a couple could
be stored behind a foldaway panel to allow better grip (especially
vertical).

- I'd like a stiffer detent on the shooting mode switch (around the shutter
release). Too easy to move as it is.

- No sapphire glass screen on a $7000 camera???

Overall, looks like an out-of-the park homerun for Solms. Bravo Leica!

Emanuel