Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Fall in the north
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:04:26 -0700

I'd never been in the Yukon before; it's right next to British
Columbia but it's further to Whitehorse than to Mexico from
Vancouver. We'd often talked about driving the Alaska Highway, but
you have to have time. I'd been in the Northwest Territories, but in
general the scenery in the Yukon is more spectacular.

The predominant deciduous tree is what us (former) prairie folks call
'poplar'; it looks almost like a birch but is really an aspen. In any
case, it has small leaves and turns bright yellow just before
dropping them all. We came at the right time. Low to the ground and
nearer to the treeline are various shrubs and flowers, such as the
fireweed which is seen in the island shot. They often turn bright red
in fall. All that colour, and incredibly clear air; it has about
500,000 sq.km, so is close in area to Spain but has only 33,000
people of which 21,000 are in the capital Whitehorse. So about 12,000
people scattered over the rest of the territory. Not much polution.

What I really want to do some time is drive the Dempster Highway from
Dawson City to Inuvik on the MacKenzie delta. 740km and one gas
station/store and some of the most incredible scenery imaginable.
Bring a spare tire.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design