Subject: [Leica] Dead pig head
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:29:26 -0400

the grocery store i worked in when i was 12 had souse in the glass
front meat cooler. We sliced off as much as folks wanted, and wrapped
it in white waxed paper. we kept beef quarter in the walk-in and cut
it to order, as we did chicken. we had hoop cheese in wooden boxes and
cut wedges to order--cheddar only--were there other kinds? we sliced
bologna from a whole sasage, and linked country sausage hung from a
stick hung in one corner of the butcher corner along with a country
ham or two--you could buy by the link and slice.

as a marker of how times have changed, i actually got to use the band
saw and butcher's knives to cut meat for customers.

field hands ate vienna sausage or sardines with pepsi in the backroom
at lunch time. the neighbors played set-back in the same room at
night. in later years, they added a B&W television on a high shelf in
one corner, we got two channels

we had ESSO gas for 25? a gallon, pumped by the 12-year-old kid (me)
who would check your oil if you wanted

of course, the store was at Carter's Crossroads. although my dad and
his best cousin ran the store for a short time, they were long out of
the business by the time i worked for clyde jones and later russell
raynor

ric

Message from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Dead pig head)
Message from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Dead pig head)