Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 05:59:36 -0400

> It's optically better than the Leica 50/2: it doesn't flare and the
> formula has been tweaked.  Even Erwin puts says it is an improvement.
> Mechanically the ZM lenses aren't as sturdy as the Leica ones, but it
> seemed sturdy enough to me that it would survive just fine.
>
> The Summilux ASPH is another thing altogether.  It's the ultimate (in
> both senses of the word) fast (as opposed to superfast) 50.
>
> Marty

The ZM glasses are of a lesser quality.
The tolerances are lower.
Its a 600 dollar lens.
Leica lenses cost thousands.
They could be made for hundreds with cheaper glass. Lower tolerances.
No one would try to pawn them off as "better".

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Zeiss Normal 50mm f/2 Planar T* ZM)